Saturday, October 8, 2011

last thoughts

I graduated with a bachelors degree and took a job with a union shop knowing that I would have the job for the 30 years that it would take me to pay off my student loans.  I bought a house and had some kids.  But then my company's CEO learned that he could get tax breaks if he moved the company overseas, I got laid off.  So I got my unemployment insurance to tide me over while I found another job.  I applied to 300 different companies and could not find anything.  I couldn't even get a minimum wage job.  My state's governor called me and other like me "lazy" and signed a bill to shorten the weeks that my unemployment would last.  I got 26 weeks of assistance, but it was not near what I had been making, so I had to dip into my savings to keep up my mortgage and student loan payments (and everything else).  We asked the bank to reconfigure our loan.  They asked for a bunch of paperwork and took six months to say "no".  When I could not find a job, it became apparent that we could not afford to stay in our house so we put it on the market.  We dropped our asking price to below what we owed, but none of the people who were interested could secure a loan to buy it.  My 401k had been healthy, but my investment worth disappeared due to deregulation and risky behavior of the banks.  So eventually I could not make the payments and we were put out on the streets.

Then I learned that because of the EPA and department of energy's lack of concern, the chemical plant in town had been spewing carcinogenic chemicals into our air.  The doctors don't know if it was the chemicals or the tainted groundwater due to the fracking that caused my cancer.  Because I had no health insurance, I could not get treatment, and now I will soon die.  But on my deathbed, I will not be sad or angry.  The only thought I will have is "thank god that gay's can't marry".    

Seriously North Carolina?  With all the terrible things happening to American's you are going to focus on gay marriage? 

No comments:

Post a Comment